Welcome to my blog (Leah Sweet), you can follow me as I explore the wonderful new country of Singapore.

Friday, January 21, 2011

Singapore Differences



A few days ago I went to Singapora Plaza to get some basic dorm needs. Of course on my list was sheets for my bed, but that was not so easy. The normal Singaporean sheet set comes with a fitted sheet, a regular pillowcase and then a pillowcase for a bolster. A bolster is the skinny long pillow which apparently is a common place in every bed. After buying my set I went on a search for just a regular plain sheet (that a normal bed would have). Due to the hot weather here most Singaporeans do not sleep with a top sheet at all, I ended up finding one that was more expensive than my sheet set and a decently priced blanket. The funny thing is that they were not easy to find at all. At carrefour (wal-mart type store) they have a plain sheet for S$49 and that was it. After some shopping I found one, but I just thought the whole process was a little strange. In my second picture is a clothes line dryer. The washing machines here are free which is great but there is only one dryer and it costs money. Therefore everyone dries their clothes outside. We have some bars outside of our window that everyone clips their clothes to over night. At first it was different, but now I have to do my laundry more often or there will not be any room to dry everything. I did my first load and it is extra work, but I don't have to worry about clothes shrinking in the dryer, and because it is so hot out my clothes dried in a matter of two hours. Finally in the last picture is our new welcome mat. While wandering the city we saw these cat's everywhere. Thinking about it I have seen the waving kitty in pretty much every asian restaurant at home. After some research I found out that this "waving kitty" brings good luck, and fortune to the owner and is also a welcoming symbol. Now our room is lucky and inviting!
xoxo
Leah

No comments:

Post a Comment