Welcome to my blog (Leah Sweet), you can follow me as I explore the wonderful new country of Singapore.

Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Day One


After Maria took me to my room I borrowed some sheets and attempted to sleep. Unfortunately I was very awake due to my body thinking it was three in the afternoon. I managed to sleep a few hours and woke up probably more tired than before. My room is a two person room with plenty of storage for books and clothes. There are a few different things though, shoes are taken off outside of rooms by tradition. In one of the pictures you can see there is a "shoe closet" on the outside of my room, so the shoes never go inside. The other different thing is that the washing machines are free but there is one dryer that costs S$1(S$=Singaporean Dollar). Many people opt to air dry their clothes, so there are various clothes lines in the halls and outside each of the windows. The air is very humid, it is probably 80 degrees Fahrenheit and sticky. The AC costs 1 cent for three minutes so it is not economical to keep it running all the time. I have yet to use mine since the fan and open windows seems to keep me just cool enough now. It was and adventure taking my first shower here since I had no towels but I managed to clean up. I also encountered another dilemma with the outlets. I thought that a few things would work in the outlets but I was wrong and I needed adaptors for everything I brought including to charge my computer. The first day I went without anything plugged in. Day one I wandered around campus and went to the International Student Center to register. I got a a little tour of the campus and purchased a very cheap phone (S$69). After that the jet lag got to me and I turned in early.
                                                  xoxo
Leah

1 comment:

  1. I think we'll adopt the no shoes inside policy - I like that!

    ReplyDelete