Welcome to my blog (Leah Sweet), you can follow me as I explore the wonderful new country of Singapore.

Wednesday, January 26, 2011

School Adventures


This week was the start of classes finally. The schedules here are very different. For pretty much all of my classes I have a two hour lecture once a week in a large lecture hall. Then I have a one hour tutorial at a totally different time and day of the week. The tutorials are smaller and allow for questions and group work. In three of my classes I am the only white person, which I was sure would happen. The natives here are quiet but if you start talking to them mostly all of them are friendly. I am sure that I will have some great study groups. The video above is from yesterday outside my door. The rain is absolutely crazy, you think that the world is going to end for about twenty minutes and then it is over with. After being here for a little over a week I have realized how different I am to these native people. Most people just look at you and don't say anything but if you chat with them they all are genuinely intrigued. I remember in Mexico the men would haggle you and always come up to you. Here we have not had one incident. Kara and I attended the freshman and new student tea for hall three yesterday. We were the only two from America, and there were two from Indonesia, Korea, and China. We ended up winning a coupon for answering trivia about Singapore! It was for only five dollars but we had a great time chatting with people. We just stressed to everyone that they can come up to us whenever they want. Last night we decided to do a girls night and wander around clarks quay. We passed a bar/lounge called Attica, and there was an extremely long line to get in. The manager came up to us while walking and invited us in for no cover charge. All six of us explored inside and yet again were approached to join the VIP section of the lounge. It is funny the power that six girls have here. Tonight there is a hall dinner in chinatown which is a great opportunity to meet more people in our dorm! Until next time..
xoxo
Leah

No comments:

Post a Comment