Welcome to my blog (Leah Sweet), you can follow me as I explore the wonderful new country of Singapore.

Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Frasca Family Takes Over Singapore

Last weekend Kara's parents came to Singapore for a nice visit. They arrived late Friday night and Kara met them at the airport after our dinner. We tried out a new hawker center called Newton's Circus. This areas is considered a "touristy" hawker center because it is filled with expats. Every other stall served seafood and they had any interesting type of fresh fish or crabs one could want. I went for Indian food that night and it was great. I got tandori chicken and luckily also ordered some na'an. The chicken was pretty spicy for my taste but the man at the stall assured me it was not spicy. It was still good, we washed it down with some of our new favorite Tiger beers. It definitely helped to cut the fire in my mouth. Kara was adventurous and tried the oyster omelette. After a few more tigers Kara headed to the airport to meet her parents and I went back to the little dorm. 
Tandori Chicken

Interested Seafood Offered- Cockles, Sting Ray, & Gong Gong

Kara's Meal

The next morning I got up early and hustled to make the trip to the Marina Bay Sands. From door to door the journey took exactly one hour but I was too excited it went by so quick. The Frasca family was so kind in inviting me to join them at the rooftop pool at their hotel. The view from this pool is so well known in Singapore and not many people have actually gone up because it is for hotel guests only. Even though it was a little overcast the view was breathtaking. I actually acquired my bearings around the city by just seeing how close everything was from overhead. The pool was so relaxing and Mrs. Frasca brought some American magazines to read!! 
Infinity Pool


Mrs. Frasca and I
Having Fun looking OVER Singapore


View-too bad it was cloudy

Yayaya Vogue & Infinity Pool


All the Girls when the sun came out!
Kara brought her parents back to NTU but I luckily got to relax by the pool for another few hours and then casually explored the Marina Bay Mall and area around the hotel. It was fun just to walk around with no place to go and no time limit it was quite peaceful. 
Business District

Found ice skating in the Marina Bay Sands Mall

View of the Marina Bay Sands- the pool is on the top deck!

Floating soccer field and the Esplanade theatre on the right

Then I rejoined the Frasca's for a wonderful seafood dinner. They had lived in Singapore for two years when Kara was in preschool, so she doesn't remember too much but MR. Frasca had been traveling here for years. We went to the well known restaurant called Jumbo Seafood on the East Coast Parkway along the water. The meal was so fresh and different. We started off with some prawn and fried noodles and broccoli. Then we had drunken prawns which we watched actually jump around when they poured the liquor in. They were so large and delicious it is my new favorite. Then came the famous chili crabs. They are Sri-Lankan massive crabs cooked in a great chili sauce. This is what Singapore and Jumbo Seafood is known for. No wonder! They were to die for, so messy but completely worth it. I then headed back to NTU for a fun roomie night. 
Does not get much fresher...

Crabs from Sri Lanka for din din

Until next time...
xoxo
Leah

No comments:

Post a Comment